I always thought making potatoes au gratin involved a ton of work or at least a mandolin. Thank god neither of those are true. This was so easy, it completely changed my attitude. I will never buy those dried potatoes in a box again. You know the kind that comes with the pouch of powder cheese flavoring. No thank you. Just make sure not to under season this one-it needs the salt and pepper. I hope you find it as easy as I do!
POTATOES AU GRATIN
-4 potatoes-peeled and thinly sliced
-4 tbs. Butter
-4 tbs Flour
-2 1/2 cups Milk
-2 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese-shredded
-Salt and Pepper
Pre Heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Heavily butter the baking dish you are using. Layer the baking dish with some potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue layering with salt and pepper in between each layer until the potatoes are done.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over MEDIUM heat and whisk in the flour until a thick paste forms (about 1 minute). Season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir in the milk. Cook over MEDIUM heat until the sauce thickens (about 5 minutes)
- Add the cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the cheese sauce all over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake for one and half hours. Take it out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving!