I love stuffed shells & wanted to make them for Sunday dinner last week. I started thinking of something I could add to make them even better. Spinach and sausage turned out to be the perfect thing! This is one delicious food combo. Even my husband who isn't a huge sausage fan liked them. I will be making these again and again.
SAUSAGE & SPINACH STUFFED SHELLS
-1 Box Jumbo Shells
-1(10oz) Package Frozen Spinach (thawed & drained)
-1 (16 oz) Ricotta Cheese
-1/4 Small Onion, Chopped
-1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
-1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
-1 Tbs Oregano
-1 Tbs Italian Seasoning (out of casing)
-1 Package Sweet Italian Sausage
-2 Tbs Chopped Garlic
-2/3 cups Tomato Sauce canned or use my recipe
(preheat the oven to 350)
1. Cook pasta shells as directed on the box. (Run under the cold water when they're done to stop them from cooking.)
2. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over med-high head. Add the onion and cook for 2/3 minutes.
3. Add the sausage and garlic to the onion. Season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Continue cooking until the sausage is completely cooked. (Smash the sausage in the pan while its cooking to break the sausage up int small pieces.) Let slightly cool.
4. In a Med size bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, egg, spinach, oregano. mozzarella cheese & parmesan cheese. Season with salt, pepper, & garlic powder-however much you like. Add the sausage and mix well.
5. Line large baking dish with pasta sauce-about a cup. Stuff the shells with the cheese, sausage mixture and line them, side by side. in the baking dish.
6. Top the shells with as much remaining sauce as you want. Sprinkle the top with parm cheese and seal with tin foil. Bake 20 minutes then remove foil and bake another 20.
*I don't really like to put salt or sauce measurements on the recipes. Some people are super sensitive to salt & some absolutely have to have it. Season the shells as you like. Same goes for sauce. I like my shells drowning in sauce. If you don't, use less.
(my taste testing plate :) )
For more recipes & food ideas follow Al Dente Diva on Instagram.
CLICK THE PINTEREST BUTTON BELOW TO SAVE IT FOR LATER :)