This is the juiciest, most flavorful roasted game hen recipe ever! I love serving these for either a crowd or a small dinner party. Everyone gets there own little portion, they're perfect. I got the idea to cut them in half after seeing it served this way at a restaurant. It really does make it look a little extra yummy :). Make sure to serve them with a big side of mashed potatoes or rice to soak up all that good gravy!
ROASTED GAME HENS IN GRAVY
-2 Cornish game hens
-1/4 cup white wine
-1/4 cup chicken stock
-2 tbs. butter
-Salt and pepper
-1 tsp. Rosemary
-4 lemon wedges
-2 garlic cloves, minced
PRE HEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
- Melt 2 tbs of butter and add the rosemary and garlic. Lift the skin of the hens and pour the butter, herbs and garlic into it. Drizzle skin of the hens with olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper. Season the cavity with salt and pepper also and place 2 lemon wedges inside each.
- Place the hens on a baking rack and cook for 30 minutes. (if you do not have a rack, place the chicken right on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine white wine, chicken stock and 2 tbs olive oil. Remove the hens from the rack and place them on the baking sheet. Pour the white wine mixture oven the hens. Reduce the oven heat to 350. Bake the hens for an additional 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes.
- Once the hens are done, remove them from the baking sheet-pouring out any juices and lemons onto the pan. Tent them under tin foil to keep warm while you make the gravy.
- Remove the lemons and pour the rest of the pan drippings into a small sauce pan. Boil until the sauce thickens making a gravy (about 3 minutes).
- Using a large sharp kitchen knife-Cut the hens down the spine in half. Place them on a serving platter and pour the gravy on top. Serve immediately.