One of my all time favorite soups! This is a great recipe for it, too. Its easy to follow and tastes amazing! I love that I can make this at home. I bake the bread and cheese separately then add it to the soup. For me, its easier to handle going in and out of the oven. Feel free to add the bread and cheese to the soup and broil it all together if you like!
FRENCH ONION SOUP
-4 onions, sliced
-4 cups beef broth
-1 stick of butter
-1/2 bottle of red wine
-2 Bay leaves
-1 tbs. Thyme
-3 tbs Flour
-Salt and Pepper
PRE HEAT THE BROILER
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add the onions,bay leaves and thyme. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, over MEDIUM LOW HEAT for 25 minutes.
- Add the red wine and bring to a BOIL. Reduce heat to LOW and cook until all the wine is absorbed by the onions.
- Remove the bay leaves and add the flour. Stir the flour into the onions and cook over MEDIUM LOW heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice bread and place the slices on a baking sheet. Cover each slice of bread with 2 slices of Gruyere cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Add one slice of the cheese/bread to each bowl. Serve hot!