I like to consider these crab cakes one of my specialty's. I love making these in the summer with fresh caught crabs from the Lavallette Bay. Unfortunately the summer is only so long. So I started experimenting with canned crab meat. Not only does it allow me to make these all year round but it's also is a great way to save time. The cans can get a little pricey so I like to stock up when there on sale.
Another great thing about these crab cakes is that are frozen before frying. This means that if you make the whole recipe, and only want two for dinner, leave the rest in the freezer till you are ready to eat them. Great to have on had and ready to go. They can be served as an appetizer or entree. Try serving one with steak as an easy surf and turf!
-1/2 small onion-diced
-1 medium carrot, grated
-1 cup mayonnaise
-1 tsp Cayenne pepper
-1 tsp ground mustard (If you don't have ground mustard use whatever mustard you have around the house)
-1 tsp Worcsteshire sauce
-2 cups seasoned bread crumbs and a little extra in a seperate bowl*
-1 1/4 cup egg beaters
-3 cans crab meat* (make sure to drain the crab meat really well)
- In a medium bowl add onion, carrot, crab meat, mayo, mustard, Westesire sauce, egg beaters, bread crumbs. Add about a tbs of salt and pepper and 1/2 tbs garlic powder. Mix well
- Mold mixture into small size hockey pucks (for appetizers) or larger size hockey pucks (for entrees). Coat crab cakes in the side bread crumb bowl.
- Freeze the crab cakes for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Fry the crab cakes in oil over MEDIUM HIGH heat until they are golden brown on both sides (about 4 min each side)
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
*I USE THESE BREAD CRUMBS AND CRAB MEAT