I've never seen this made before so I was interested on how it would come out. I invited some family over for a taste test and everyone loved it! Tastes just like a sausage and pepper sandwich with out the sloppy mess. If you think this sounds as interesting as I did, give it a try, it might suprise you.
SAUSAGE & PEPPER LASAGNA
-1 package Lasagna noodles
-1 lb sausage (sweet or hot)
-2 garlic coves, chopped
-Salt and pepper
-2 green bell peppers (cut into strips)
-2 large onions (cut into strips)
-3 cups home made or jarred tomato sauce
-1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
-1/4 cup ricotta cheese
-1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
PRE HEAT THE OVEN TO 350 DEGREES
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 2 tbs of olive oil. Remove the sausage from its casing and brown it in the oil. Remove the browned sausage and set it aside. Drain the oil drippings from the pan.
- In the same pan, add 2 more tbs of oil and saute the peppers, onion, and garlic together. Season with salt and pepper. (about 10-15 minutes)
- When the peppers and onion are cooked through, add the sausage back to the pan. Also, add 2 cups of tomato sauce. Stir well and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in salted water 2 minutes less than the package suggests. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water. Pat the noodles dry.
- In a 9 x13 inch baking dish-line the bottom with a little tomato sauce and cover with about 4 lasagna noodles.
- Top with half the sausage and pepper mixture.
- Mix the ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese together. Place dollops on top of the sausage and peppers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Repeat the noodles, sausage and peppers, and cheese layers until you reach the top-ending in lasagna noodles.
- Pour the remaining sauce and cheese on top. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the lasagna is cooked all the way through.
- Let the lasagna cook for 10 minutes before cutting and serving it. Enjoy!!